Monday, August 13, 2012

What's Up, Buttercup?

What kind of blog name is Stitches and Ditches anyway?! Oh well, it sounded kind of catchy at 3 am this morning when I made it. 
     Please be patient with me, internet, whilst I try to figure this whole blogging thing out. Hopefully it doesn't turn out anything like my ill-fated diary attempts when I was little. I'd write an entry then forget about it for a year. And lose the key. And then find the poor book under my bed one day and pry the lock open using a bobby pin (Nancy Drew style!) and then repeat the whole process. But anywayyyyyy........
my 10 year old self
I've been thinking about starting a sewing blog for a while now, and since I have a pretty new laptop and shiny little digital camera now I can try!  
I don't know exactly when I became interested in sewing. My mom sewed tonsss of my siblings and my clothes when we were little so I've always been open to the idea of making clothes yourself. Then Stumbleupon took me to The Sew Weekly and I was immediately hooked. So many pretty clothes! Every week! I think I found Gertie through Stumbleupon too. Once again, hooked. She's hilarious and sassy and awesome and makes the most breathtaking vintage-y dresses!
  
so...much...sewing knowledge
It's crazy how many other sewing blogs I found after finding those two. Each one just leads you to more and more awesome sewistas! I'm like Hercules trying to kill the hydra; I'm all, "I'm just going to look at a few Sew Weekly posts." Then one of the posts has a link for some sort of awesome tutorial, which I HAVE to follow, and that tutorial will mention some awesome project or other. Which I could totally ignore, except they put a PICTURE of le awesome project, and it looks so legit and pretty and I want to make legit pretty things! So I have to check it out, you see. This can go on for several hours.
     Eventually I transitioned from obsessively reading sewing blogs to obsessively reading sewing blogs and actually, you know, sewing. I've made a couple of dresses and tops with varying levels of success. Hey, I can put an invisible zipper in and used bias tape successfully last night, so I'm not doin too bad, I think.
     So this blog will hopefully be an account of my sewing adventures. Wish me luck, blogosphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment