Sunday, August 19, 2012

third time's the charm!

     Ughblegh, zippers hate me. I just put a zipper in that cute little Simplicity dress for the third time...grrr. Although it was actually my fault. I decided I didn't need no 18 inch zipper; I'm not tall or anything, 12 inches is plenty!
     12 inches meant it couldn't zip the waist seam open. For some reason I didn't realize this until I was trying to step into it and couldn't get it past my knees. I figured no biggie, I'll just slip it on over my head. Well, I somehow got it over my head...I did not get it off over my head. I got it off by (rather ferociously) seam ripping one side of the zipper out. I was, as my sister put it, a slave to fashion. Hey, you live you learn, right?   So then I thought if I could just lower the zipper a couple inches I'd be fine because it had ended right at the waist the first time. I figured I could put an extra hook and eye at the empty space at the top...nope. Still not enough room for these hips. But at least this time I wasn't stupid enough to try it on like that again! See, progress.
approximately my expression when I break a needle
     So I just got the proper length zipper today and now I can actually try the dress on! Excitement! Now I just have to finish the neckline, hem it, and decide if I want to attach the sleeves or just make it sleeveless.
     I'm really happy the zipper went well this time though because I made a Tshirt today (1st time sewing knits!). I got ballpoint needles and a double needle for topstitching and everything and I got the shirt together pretty easily. Then I broke my only double needle putting twill tape in the shoulder seam. I got it yesterday! Gah, I was so devastated I just sat there and cursed for about three minutes straight. So zipper success was really a pick-me-up. I'm glad I ended my sewing endeavors for the day with a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment