Friday, June 20, 2014

Motivation

...such an aggravation. ahhhh see what I did there? ;)


I've read sooo many blog posts about getting one's sewjo back. Some people like to find small, easy projects when they're lacking inspiration; some pick out an extra icing-ey, fun, in no way practical project that they can just let their imagination run wild on; others give themselves a break from sewing to recharge their drive. I can't seem to make any of these techniques work though.

Sometimes I sew for a week straight, night and day. And sometimes I don't sew anything for months at a time. It's just like I'm overrun by motivation one hour and the next it's left me in the dust, wondering why I wanted the damn project in the first place.  I'd get so much more done if I worked consistently instead of in random spurts.

I will be the first to admit I'm not the best at scheduling my time, and I'm sure that doesn't help. Many bloggers I read suggest setting time aside consistently to sew, but if I don't feel like sewing, I have a really hard time getting myself to do it. I have no problem getting myself to go to work when I need to, and heck, I can even get myself to do my homework pretty consistently. But if  the sewjo ain't there, progress ain't happening. Also, my creative brainwave levels peak really late at night. Call me an extreme night owl. So lots of times I feel like sewing at 12:30 in the morning, and the next thing I know it's 4:30. And then I sleep in way too late the next day.

Another thing that bugs me about my wishy-washy sewtivation is that deadlines usually ALWAYS kick my ass into gear. School projects, applications with deadlines, all that crud: I pretty much always wait till the last minute before (most of the time) somehow pulling it off pretty well. But with sewing...let's just say that there are a few gifts that were supposed to be done months ago that STILL aren't a reality yet. It really annoys me not just because I haven't done the sewing but because, duh, they're gifts that I haven't been able to give to their recipients.

these dresses NEED to happen by my cousin's baby shower!

I have noticed that if I get as far as cutting out a pattern there's a pretty good chance that I'll see it through. But I have so many plans that haven't had a chance at being the real deal because my motivation took a sabbatical.

If you have tips for me, I'd love to hear them. And if you feel like wishing me luck, that'd be greatly appreciated too, seeing as I want to finish a jacket, make a dress, and whip up a few baby dresses as gifts by early July. AND sew a few things that would be good for my upcoming semester in Spain. HELP!

1 comment:

  1. No tips but I hear ya! Have my own deadline to meet sewing wise (Warm clothes for a rapidly growing daughter

    ReplyDelete