Friday, December 20, 2013

The Taffy that Almost Wasn't

     So I started this Taffy last year, around September or Octoberish I think. I tried to make bias tape out of the main fabric, and since I was new to making bias tape and the fabric is so light and drapey, it worked out pretty terribly. Then I finished the neckline and one of the sleeves with the bias tape, and that ended up a mess. So I got frustrates and threw the blouse back in with all my fabric.

     Then two nights before I went home for Christmas break I felt the need to sew, but knew it wouldn't be a smart idea to start a whole new project, because I'd have to pack up all the little pieces and take it home.

     So over a year after I started it, I ripped all the crappily applied bias tape, reapplied it, finished the other sleeve, and hemmed the sucker.
      I wasn't sure how I felt about the sleeves at first, but I think I like how huge and fluttery they are now. I really like the fabric too-- I got it at the thrift store across the street from campus, so I'm sure it was less than $5. It's so silky smooth with a stripey design.


 I used the Taffy blouse pattern from the Colette Sewing Handbook. It's been forever since I started the project so I'm not completely sure, but I think the only change I made to the pattern was to take out the darts. I also left off the back ties. It's a pretty loose but still flattering fit. No closures necessary!
 This is the first pattern I used French seams on. They're so neat and finished looking!
The sleeves look so pretty!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment